Metatarsalgia pain symptoms

Sponsored Links

About a week after our after hours escape at the local bar, when Al had told me about the pain in his feet, we met again after work in the same bar. And I asked Al how his foot pain was doing. “ Oh, the pain is still unbearable”, he told me.

I said “Al, if you are having pain below your big toe and between your second and third toes, these are classic metatarsalgia pain symptoms”, I told him. “You see, your feet are basically supporting your body and working at your machine shop, you are standing for eight to ten hours every day on concrete flooring. And being so cheap as you are, I see that your shoes are showing their age. You have money to blow on all kinds of things but you wont spend any money on good shoes. Metatarsalgia loves to make friends with folks like you.

“Tell me more about pain symptoms related to metatarsalgia”, Al said.

“Metatarsalgia pain symptoms are much different from other pain characteristics in your feet. For example, if the pain is from the forefeet to the heels, happens early in the mornings when you wake up and goes away after some time, then it is a totally different problem. That is called plantar fasciitis. But if you have pain in the balls of your feet, between the first and the second toe as you are describing, it is most likely metatarsalgia”, I told him.

“I did find a podiatrist, by the way. She seems like a nice doctor.”

“And did you fix an appointment.”

“As a matter of fact, yes, I will be seeing her next week.”

“Good for you, Al. We will meet here again next week. I am sure you will be glad you saw the doctor.”

I was happy that Al finally decided to get an appointment with his podiatrist. He is such a hard worker, I hate to see him suffer with pain like this. Then again, he did not have a spouse who could have pushed him to go and seek medical help. Al’s wife passed away over a dozen years ago after battling with cancer. He lived alone. His only daughter lived several states away and Al kind of kept his problems away from her. In a way, I guess I took on the role of nudging him to take care of his body.

Sponsored Links